THE ARIZONA PENGUIN

Friday, March 4, 2011

Home Again

I was up and about early this morning. I had been in contact with my grandson, Jeff in Orlando. We were trying to make plans to go fishing again but he was having problems trying to get out of a court date he was involved in. Ain't it heck when your job gets in the way of your recreation? I also had to make a date with my dentist and have my dentures refitted so I could eat more comfortably. That phone conversation was sucessful and I set off to keep a 9:15 appointment. I was cruising down Center street at about 9:05 when I became distracted and the next thing I am hitting a curb with some velocity. I blew my right front tire AND my rear tire. When I examined it I saw I had also managed to wreck the rim. Oh dear, here I am without a cell phone and no way to #1, cancel my 9:15 or #2, a 10:30 I had made with a church friend. I then see a man standing at front of a condo, I assumed to be his, and called out "Do you have a cell phone I can use?" I walked over and he pulled out his cell called a number I gave him--my insurance agent, and things began to happen. My agent called me back on his cell phone and arranged for a towing service to come, get the car and take it about a mile away to a car repair shop recomended by my new friend--Carlos. No, he wasn't an owner in the repair shop. However, after the tow truck had put my car up on the bed, and had me get in, we drove to the aforementioned repair place. Getting the paper work done with knowledge that I would have to lay out money for 2 tires, a new rim, maybe then straightening of the car frame was enough to make me sick. In the meantime, here comes Carlos, saying he wanted to make sure I got here O.K. What a nice guy!!The shop owner didn't have a loaner car but said he would drive me home at which time Carlos volunteered to take care of that. And he did! As he drove away, I thought to myself, "what a nice guy" at the same time telling myself I wanted to get to know him better. In the several minutes we were together I discovered, we are both diabetics, we have both lost our wives and are alone but managing to stay afloat finacially and emtionally. I thought as, he drove off,this confirms that there are people in this world that are friendly, able and willing to help others that have troubles. I'm sure glad we met and we will meet again.

2 comments:

Polly said...

Yikes! Grandpa, I am glad that you didn't get hurt! It was really nice talking to you the other day. Love you.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you weren't hurt, hope it didn't cost a fortune to fix the car, and that your dentist found you another place soon. Eating is important! You know why you find friendly people wherever you go? Because you are one.