THE ARIZONA PENGUIN

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Days of Yore

Days of Yore
Lying in bed early this morning, I began to think about various things of my youth and younger years. It probably won't mean much except to those over 75 and they are getting fewer and fewer. So I guess you might say this writing will be for my own amusement and possibly, some where down the line, maybe one of my great, grandchildren may stumble across this and wonder how Grampa ever survived his childhood. But let me begin by saying there was very little religion in our home. Oh I used to go to Sunday School and carry my pennies that, supposedly, were intended for the collection plate. But, to be honest.I some times used them at the corner candy store across from the church. Yes, I was incorrigible at a very early age. I spent my pennies on Jujy Fruits because they lasted a long time. I tried Jaw Breakers but they were very noticeable in my cheek and I didn't want to advertise my pilfering from the church. I often wondered if Reverend Jolley would have missed my donation? I managed to become confirmed, having learned the various gospels and creeds so I guess I got somethings right! I remember strange things about my childhood-some of which are still around. For example, sneakers. Only someone my age would still be calling running shoes, sneakers, And then there were Thom McMahan (sp?) shoes. My Dad wouldn't buy any but that brand back then. Was there a different brand for kids? Growing up in Buffalo, it was curious to see cream frozen and extending beyond the milk bottle top when the weather was cold. Homogenized milk hadn't been discovered yet?!When Mom wasn't looking I would sneak a spoonfull to eat--another example of my nefarious character. I recall going to high school and my first remembrance of Louise was when I was standing on a corner waiting for a friend to walk to school with me, when she and two other girls went by. I remember her nice legs but never saw her again for five years. Just think I might have married at age 17. Does anyone remember the zoot suiters? They were the "creeps" that attended all the dances and had these strange clothes that had baggy trousers with tight ankles. They also had very long suit coats with key chains that dangled to about their knees and wore very wide brimmed hats. Very weird! As I gradually matured I enlisted in the U.S. Navy and looking back loved that 3 years of my life, much of which has previously been written. There were many things of my childhood but they have been put on paper in earlier days and repetition is unnecessary but I wonder if Dentyne or Beemans gum is still around? Somehow I managed to get into the Men's clothing business and became, amongst other things a Men's hat buyer. Any salesmen that came into the store in those days was asked to leave if he wasn't wearing a hat. I still like hats and would wear one if it was still the fashion. Besides my hair is thinning and a hat would prevent any stares or strange looks. One thing which I really liked was the silk or nylon clad legs with the seams up the back. Man, I thought they were very sexy and even at my advanced age would love to see them back in style. Does that make me a dirty old man? Color me guilty!! Lastly, I wish to say a few words about my first car. My Dad bought this Graham Paige which was of the 1929 vintage. It wasn't much but it had wheels that worked and I can remember driving Linda around the block on many nights because that was the way she went to sleep, Well those are just a few of the things that disturbed my slumber this morning and if and when any of my grandkids find these meanderings amongst my papers, I hope they find some amusement in the early days of Old Gramps.

1 comment:

MARCIE said...

This was a fun post!