THE ARIZONA PENGUIN

Saturday, January 9, 2010

John Phillips Sousa, I ain't!

Have you ever had one of those night's where sleep seems to have disappeared? Well, that was what last night was all about. I never know on the mornings which inevitably follow, whether this is a case of having indulged myself with a caffeine laden soft drink or whether I may have fallen asleep for a very short time and then awakened to realize all semblance of sleep had disappeared. So there I lay and what do I then do? Why I practised giving direction to the church mens choir group by being a most unlikely conductor for said group. Yes, I do lead them most every Sunday. I lead them in hymns of my choice for one or two verses but then get off the "stage",without any hurrahs or applause of any kind.. I managed to mentally direct those marching songs which our church has published and by whistling soundlessly melodies such as the "Thunderer" by the aforementioned Sousa and one which I learned to play in the dim, light of the past on a fife which I used to perform in a fife and drum corps. (Incidentally that word is singular and I never understood why it looks to be pronounced in the plural tense). But that is a part of my ancient history that I rather enjoyed. Returning to the songs I was humming or rather, whistling, to myself, they included "Onward Christian Soldiers",Rock of Ages, High on a Mountain Top, (All the Presbyterians must be shuddering) and I even had the temerity to try to make our National Anthem sound good in my mind. There is no song, hymn,or march, call it what you will, that I love more than the stirring tones and words of "O Say, Can You See " It brings tears to my eyes as I type this for that is the love to which my tear trigger, is least resistant. I love that music and all it stands for. Don't let a flag, a marching band or even the three that led our War back in the 1770's, pass me by. All that reminds me of the great Revolution and the ultimate war ending-battle, the fight for Fort McHenry, that was the clarion call of the war of 1812. And to sum up the lack of sleep which I suffered, I tried to lead the hymns in harmony?? Can you imagine leading music with only one voice and trying harmonize? With what or whom?? It was indeed, a hopeless task! So there you have it, my night of sleepless endeavor which lasted from about 1:30 until 4:00 at which point I realized sleep had fled my eyes and I might as well pen this reminder. It was an interesting night of music but I'm sure John Sousa lies undisturbed somewhere in the annals of the history of our country. Long may he sleep undaunted by the perplexity of what our country faces at this time but nevertheless, it is my country and my flag and long may it wave!!!

3 comments:

Brenda said...

The National Anthem makes me tear up too, go figure. Hope you are sleeping better tonight. A handsome guy like you needs his beauty sleep, y'know! Hugs from NH, B=)

MARCIE said...

I had a night just like that Dad. Only I couldn't stop designing quilts that will likely never be made. You at least made it into a good read for your blog!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, I agree about the National Anthem. I always picture the ship he was on and how he held his breath to see if the flag was still there! I love the other songs, too, and remember my grandmother singing Rock of Ages so often. High on a Mountain Top is always in my son's voice. Onward Christian Soldiers ... that's Mama's piano playing that one. I guess I harmonize the people instead of the music.