THE ARIZONA PENGUIN

Saturday, January 9, 2010

DON'T GO THERE

It all began on or about December 3, 2009. IT was the fateful day in which I embarked on a couple of family matters that needed to be addressed. I am the Grand Father. Notice I separated the title to polish my own buttons although some of that may be wishful thinking. Nevertheless, in this instance I did feel, not an obligation but more of a necessity, to visit Las Vegas with a continuing stop in Minneapolis. Why? My beautiful granddaughter, Tatum, Chris and Gina’s child, was to be baptized. Now a child of eight sounds a bit odd for a baptism but in the LDS church we believe that age eight is an age where a child should know the difference between right and wrong. Thus, a baptism was to take place and Grampa wanted to be there to show his love and support for the occasion.

I arrived in the teeming city of Las Vegas and believe me the airport was in full teem with people of all description walking about. Chris met me there and as I walked into the garage it was definitely colder than was Arizona and I was wearing only a sport coat. But the car was close at hand and I was soon removed from the weather and arrived at Chris’ home several minutes later. I found that this weather was only the beginning and I quickly got into my warm-up suit and was fairly comfortable. As I said, it was only the beginning and 5 days passed with the baptism the highlight of my stay in the Sin City and the weather becoming increasingly colder.

I had a cold when I arrived and carried it with me to Minneapolis where I was greeted by my son saying “Dad you are walking into a mad house“. Wondering what that meant, I looked at him quizzically and he explained “The house is a mess. Victoria is at the hospital with Dalton who has a ruptured appendix and Dillon is walking around in a daze not having adjusted to no longer being a missionary“. And now you know the reason I went on to Minneapolis --to greet and show grandfather’s support to a young man who had given two years to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Again for those not familiar with our faith, young men and sometimes young women will give of themselves to act in the name of our Savior visiting amongst the unwashed and trying to convert them to the true faith. (Pardon a little tongue in cheek here).

By the way, the arrival of a snow storm was being shouted across the airwaves and for once, it proved to be factual. Snow was falling and by morning 5 inches of beautiful white snow coated the world. You can have it. Get me back to Arizona, a land I have grown to love. You can have greenery, water, and lush landscapes. Give me the warmth of the desert and I am happy. But not here in the North country, I began to become colder and colder. My nose was a stream and my cough resembled a barking dog--not a terrier but a full blown Danish Wolf Hound. Rudolph and his red appendage had nothing on me. Santa if you need further help, give me a call.

And so it was; a week of sitting in a chair with a heavy blanket wrapped around me and all my family laughing at my discomfort. Dillon was wonderful regaling me with tales of some of the things that made his mission not only worthwhile but successful. He is a fine young man now, not a youth, whose intentions serving the Lord have been magnified and honed to a degree of skilled service with a love of the Gospel. He is scheduled to leave for Brigham Young University in Idaho where a new adventure awaits his arrival in early January. Dalton had the necessary surgery and came home a few days later and my Amanda was always on hand to take care of her ailing Grandfather.

Me? I couldn’t wait to get on the plane and head for home. I had done my grandfatherly duties and suffered the consequences but now home was next on my agenda. C’mon sunshine! My cold gradually departed, a human form emerged and I was home. It is so nice to be back where people walk around smiling in stead of shuddering. Welcome home old man. You are safe now. Enjoy it, but know that you had the pleasure of seeing a granddaughter and a grandson take continuing steps to a better, richer life. God Bless them.

Oh, by the way. If you have an opportunity to go to Minnesota for ice fishing, or snowboarding, don’t go there. Its cold!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh at your comments on the cold. It's exactly how I feel! We made the mistake of coming to south Texas this year instead of southern Arizona. An hour north of Houston, we thought it would be warm, and something different. Ha! It's different all right! Cold, wet difference!

How wonderful that you were able to see two grandchildren at different milestones on their journeys, though.