THE ARIZONA PENGUIN

Thursday, November 13, 2008

NO FINER MAN

It has been my privilege to know many fine men during my activity in our church but none have been finer than the man I came to recognize as my mentor. My first real acquaintance was when, at the eve of a conference, he had Louise and I meet him at his office. He was the of head our multi-unit (Stake) and he asked that I become his clerk. At that time my experience in the church was somewhat limited and I asked what my duties would entail. After his explanation, I replied, "I can't type and my hand writing is terrible. I have little or no knowledge of accounting and my church experience is quite limited, but if none of that bothers you, I'll take the job". His reply was a phrase I came to use often in some of my other positions ---"Well, look at all you will be able to learn". He was obviously a more skilled negotiator than was I.

Strangely, it was in a club shower room that I came to know him very well. I was giving up racquet ball and had decided to learn to play tennis and when I mentioned this to him, he said "I'll be glad to play tennis with you". That was the beginning of a friendship that went on for several years and we played tennis every week over that period. During some of my later positions in the church he and I would sit following our game and I would tell him of some of the obstacles I was facing He would advise me on possible solutions. This was a practice that lasted for a long time. It was during these and other meetings in which I was included that I came to fully appreciate his leadership qualities.

I knew him as a friend but under certain conditions he came forth as a man of deep devotion to his position as a leader of his large group of congregations. I would sit in these meetings taking minutes and was rewarded with getting to know the other two councilors that were his associates, Everette Manwaring and Alan Anderson. The three of them were magnificent in their endeavors to lead the aforementioned congregations and I was the recipient of their combined knowledge and efforts. These qualities brought about an organization that remained unequaled for many years, In particular, Paul Wilson led with a calm, experienced hand. He was a man of honesty, integrity and industry. He had a love of his family that, while his demeanor was sometimes very reserved, was the catalyst that allowed him to be such a great leader. To some, less knowledgeable of these qualities than was I, he may have appeared almost embarrassed to stand forth as the head of this large group of congregations, but to those of us who had come to know him, he was admired and respected. I am honored to call Paul Wilson my friend and my mentor as well as my spiritual leader. I have known and been acquainted with many men having most of the qualities mentioned before, but in my estimation there was no finer man than President Paul Wilson.

2 comments:

Susan said...

What a great tribute to his leadership! He sounds like a very special mentor.

I've always been amazed at the callings that came my way, and how the knowledge to do them came along with the calling. Once I just felt so unqualified, I turned down the calling. Guess what? I got exactly the same calling 6 months later when I moved to a new state! LOL! I took it that time. No sense taking chances.

I guess God knows where he wants us and will make it possible for us to serve there.

Polly said...

Thanks for your story Grandpa. I love the way the gospel helps us all become better people and takes us out of our comfort zones in the process.