THE ARIZONA PENGUIN

Monday, November 17, 2008

DON'T LOSE A PIECE

It seemed as though I went from puberty to marriage with a war in between. Does that sound unrealistic? Well listen to more of the same. Back during the thirties I became aware that I would graduate from High School at age 16. It's not that I was so smart, contrary, intelligence was not one of my long suits. Actually, I think my Mom faked my age so she could be rid of me and get some rest. As a result of this dilemma, I decided to take another year and graduate at 17.
There were very few jobs around and we had no money for college, so it was a proper decision with those conditions prevailing at that time. I even took another 6 months of post-graduate school so I wouldn't have to go to work. First of all that's a four letter word and I try to avoid words of that nature. I also didn't like to work any week that had a Tuesday in it. (Old joke).

The fact is I wanted to play baseball and would have spent the entire year at the school except the baseball coach came up to me one day and said, "Winspear, I under stand this is your 5th year." I said, "Thats right coach, and I'm still only 16." He replied, "Hells Bells kid, you can't play ball in your 5th year. I don't care how old you are." So much for dreams of a baseball career They finally asked me to leave school because I had exhausted every possible subject that was of an academic nature, and how many years of chorus and dramatics can you take?

Having no alternatives, I went job hunting. You need to remember jobs were not plentiful in those days, but with my outstanding acdemic background, I was able to get a job as an office boy. However, it was about this time that the rumors of war were prevelant and "defense jobs" were becoming available. I soon found greener pastures elsewhere. __I never did understand that expression. I rarely eat grass and from things I had heard, I certainly wasn't going to smoke it.

Well, suddenly Pearl Harbor happened and for a short time I allowed my patriotic fervor to overcome my natural sense of cowardice and I enlisted in the Navy Air Corp. I spent the next three years fighting the battles of Pensacola and Jacksonville and various other engagements of which only the elderly might be aware. During the last year and after skillfully avoiding any semblance of dangerous duty, I found myself in a wedding procession with me in the lead role. (A natural for me considering my five and one half years of dramatic training). Would you believe there were so few men left at home that I didn't even know members of my wedding party. (True) I wouldn't change one moment of my earlier days---they were great!

But God makes a great big jigsaw puzzle out of each of our lives and we face the question of placing each piece in its proper place. We have the privilege of making each day another perfect fit in our own personal jigsaw puzzle. Being the masters of our destiny, ours is the right to make the correct decisions. With our ever growing knowledge that God will help us make the proper placement, we can create a beautiful play with ourselves as the main characters in this drama. Make the correct decision regarding your lives and you will never lose a piece.

5 comments:

MARCIE said...

Great post Dad! I love the jigsaw puzzel analogy.

Anonymous said...

What a great post! I've just discovered your blog and will thoroughly enjoy your writings and life lessons.

Brenda said...

Oh but how tricky it can be to find just the right piece for our puzzle. And how do you know you are making the right decision? HMMM. That's what I ponder...specially when I'm flying with only one wing and a prayer, LOL!

Polly said...

There was a boy in my high school that was a senior 3 years in a row, in the year book under his picture it said "His senior years were his best" I don't think he was 16 when he finally graduated though, more like 20.

Susan said...

One of your best ever, Jim! I read it out loud to my best friend, who's visiting, and she loved it, too. Thank you so much!

I hope you are having a happy day, surrounded by family. Happy Thanksgiving!