THE ARIZONA PENGUIN

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My Quest



It is quite well known amongst my close friends and family that I am a diabetic. Oh I don't advertise it but when I deny myself eating a large beautiful piece of pie, people look and usually understand. Do I weaken once in a while? Oh yes! But in general, having seen some with amputated feet or legs, it is sufficient for me to resist. However when it comes to chocolate it is very trying to curb my temptation. I have done some traveling in my business days, most to the Orient where acquiring chocolate is a problem. Japan, forget it. Those guys would insist I eat sweetened grasshoppers when they are "in season". Ugh! I remembered Korea was the next country I was to visit and I figured maybe there? Well, I was right. In the basement of the hotel I stayed at was a kind of a Army PX store and it had fun sized Milky Ways. Oh I forgot to tell I am also cheap. When I would bring candy home to Louise, she would always take the good stuff knowing I didn't care as long as mine was chocolate. Before I get back to Korea I must admit that there were days when I would get desperate enough to eat Bakers cooking chocolate and think it was wonderful. Now you must admit that is pretty bad, but, I needed a "fix". 


So, returning to Korea, the basement store and the Milky Ways, they were available in the States for about $2.49 but those bandits wanted $3.95 for a bag and I just wouldn't permit my cheapness to pay that inflated price-never mind they had to fly it in from the U.S. and there were transportation costs involved. Don't confuse me with the facts The price was exorbitant and I just bore up with the strain of temptation. But now we head for Hong Kong and I was on the shuttle boat from Hong Kong Island to Kowloon and decided that I would visit a market place at the head of the incoming boat dock. Lo and behold! What did I see? A big sign saying "See's Candies" Eureka! I'm saved. I went in and must admit I went overboard but can you blame me? Two countries I had visited with no success, but I might have guessed the Brits, who at that time still owned that piece of China, liked their chocolate too.

So, I vowed never to be caught in that situation again and began to set my thoughts in motion and think I have a solution. Its a bit weird but it works. I have used Chocolate syrup in milk. I have used powdered Slim Fast in water as advised and that is now my solution. I carry Hershey's Chocolate syrup with me in my travels. If I stay in a hotel,- no problem. I call down for some ice and proceed to mix up a glass full of ice and water--in a home, there is always a bathroom handy and I can live without the ice. My mixture takes care of my cravings. So there you have it. I have solved the unsolvable. My quest is successful and I am sufficiently fulfilled. Lets hear it for Hershey's syrup. Don't leave home without it!!

2 comments:

MARCIE said...

At least you don't have to carry your own supply of chocolate when you come to my house. And you don't have to hide in your room and eat it all alone! We are all addicted!

Brenda said...

Too funny! I could just see you packing... "Toothpaste, check. Razor, check. Chocolate syrup, check!" hahahaha. My sister packs her own tea and sweetener. I used to think THAT was weird but after traveling with her a few times and finding nothing but crappy tea in our rooms (with a handful of the pink sweeter packets), I started thinking she was on to something. But you my dear friend, YOU now hold the title of packing the strangest thing... and possibly the yummiest!