THE ARIZONA PENGUIN

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Connie

She was a waif of a child when she arrived in the states from Spain. Living in Brooklyn for most of her younger years, the new language came easily and there was never a shred of Spanish as the years grew. Her Father was a craftsman and earned a living for his family by working with his hands. I have heard many time of his talents and industry but her Mother was well known and appreciated by those that knew her; Baba was the example of the work ethic that made the early immigants well known. She never shirked a job others never noticed. I didn't know her well but well enough to appreciate her willingness, no, her desire to help, wherever it was needed. Connie grew with those habits ingrained and in many way she was like her Mother. Lets say she was a modern Baba who fit into any place she desired to be. Connie and Marty were married at a pretty early age and like Connie, Marty was just as motivated and industrious as was most children of the earlier nationalities that came to this country in the early 20's. He was a small child that arrived from Scotland. How two, as apparently dissimilar, as were those two, got together is mystery I am not privy to, But get together they did, added three to their family and went about with Marty spending over 40 years with General Mills, changing over to Hunt industries long enough to acquire a pension to go along with one from his first job.

But this tribute is for Connie and I long ago wrote of Marty at the time of his death. Connie passed away today after defying the Doctors who had predicted she would pass away soon after she took a fall and spent almost 4 weeks of hanging in there with a heart and lungs that wouldn't give up. I first got to know Connie when my wife was to take my two girls and and a 6 month old Christopher to Utah to place the girls in school. Connie, in her positive way, refused to allow Louise to drive there unaccompanied with no one to care for Chris. Who is this person I remember asking myself? I found she and Louise had become friends after an all girls luncheon, with Connie coming to visit regularly so as to make Louise, a Mormon girl, make coffee during her visits. That trip took on even greater importance when they were snowed on September 9, in Rawlins Wy. and it took 3 days there before the plows could open the road. As time progressed and Connie became one my closest friends. I was so grateful to this 60 inch dynamo for staying with Louise and caring for Chris' dirty diapers and all else. This is a great example of Connie's unselfishness and dedication to a necessary job. This, more than anything else exemplyfies who she was - a strong personality who wouldn't back away from where she saw work. We became very close to Marty and Connie. Marty passed away about 17 years ago. Connie passed away this morning almost blind from Macular Degeneration but still indomintable but yearning to join her beloved Marty. I have spoken to her many times through these years and we always ended with the words "I love you" and I did. She will always be one of the great spirits that has touched me for good and I am a better person for having known Connie-- my friend.

1 comment:

Joel said...

She was a great lady. I remember her well and am sorry to hear about her passing. Thanks for reminding us all about her and the special friendship ship she had with Mom.