THE ARIZONA PENGUIN

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Music Shop

For several years I have driven down the same road passing all the same things without paying particular attention to them. Amongst these is a drab little shop with a nondescript sign blinking sporadically, Music Shop. I have thought to myself, every time I have passed it by, I should drop in and see if they can tell me where I can buy some song books but have also had the feeling that they don't look as though they could tell me anything about song books. Now one might ask what do I want with song books? It's a legitimate question. I can't really give it a legitimate asnwer but the thought persisted and finally, having some extra time the other day, I decided to stop in and ask my question. As I entered the shop I first noticed several violins sitting in a rack with a note saying "For rent or repair". I saw many other instrumens in quantity and  became aware of the size of the shop and the magnitude of musical supplies of various kinds However, I also noted off to the side, a rack of what appeared to be various pieces of sheet music and song books. I was  pleasantly surprised to see quite a large collection of the books with various titles indicating  the years in which the songs had been written. I saw books titled "Songs of the 40's, Songs of the 30's, Songs of the 50's" and several more years. Once you get past the 60s. and the Beattles, there's  little or no music that was of any interest. I understand that every generation thinks its music is the best ever but where do you read lyrics like "I'll be seeing you, in all the old familiar places, that this heart of mine embraces all day through. In that old cafe, the park across the way, a childrens carousel, a chestnut tree, a wishing well". Or "Long ago and far away, I dreamed a dream one day and now that dream is here beside me. Long the skies were overcast but now the clouds have passed. You're here at last".
 Oh, I know it doesn't read as well as it sings but I remember that and other songs from when I was in high school and I still recall the lovely words so often that set this or that song above all the rest. The lyrics of today total"Oh baby. Oh baby". Where are the Johnny Mercers, the Irving Berlins and the Oscar Hammersteins of yesteryear?  They just aren't and I feel like something is lost in this day of computers and Ipods. I miss the old songs and I guess that answers the question asked above. That's why I bought the song book of the 40s and in the not distant future, I'll go back and get "Songs of the 50's and maybe the 30's. Why? So I can refresh my memories and this onset of nostalgia. I'm a boy of that era and so very glad  it was my time of life. I wouldn't change it for anything.

2 comments:

MARCIE said...

Those really were great songs Dad. We could load them all onto an i-pod for you!

Anonymous said...

I love the music of all that time, too, especially the jazz songs. I do find that sometimes there's a country and western song that does a pretty good job of lyrics matched with music, and occasionally, I'll find a tune and catchy words on the Christian station. I don't listen to pop any more, though, you're right about that. Mostly, I find I fall back on Classical. It's timeless and soul stirring.