THE ARIZONA PENGUIN

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

As Age Approaches

I've been accused of getting old and in my usual whimsical manner, I reply "Age is only as old as you feel" and while that is a cliche, it has some truth to it. I admit to rarely going out dancing--like never, but it is only because I find myself more and more often, seeking the confort of that big, easy chair sitting in my living room. However, I have noticed at certain family gatherings, when I am surrounded with many, much younger than me, that I now, instead of being the center of attention that was once the case, I find myself off in a corner, satisfied to watch and smile at someone else's antics. Having noticed that as one of my more recent characteristics gives pause for me to analyze myself. What has happened to the old Jim?? Well, let me think:I am a diabetic with high blood pressure; I have four stints in my main heart artery. My blood sugar is being checked every morning to see what my sugar intake was for the previous day and I don't seem to climb the stairs as I did once. Adding that up makes me a bit unsure of my physical condition. But, you know what? I feel good!! I occasiionally have a little trouble with balance but all in all, I sincerely do not feel my age. However, having said that, there was an incident at a family gathering where 3 couples, and the guy now occupying the center stage. His humor was paralyzing the 3 couples with laughter. They were cracking up so badly that I was concerned with either regurgitation or possibly ruptures. However that was not my foremost concern. I was not getting the humor that was creating this rampant display of laughter. I was not in tune with what was being said. My grandchildren and nephews were in agony probably hoping there would be a let-up in the wise cracks. It was then I realized maybe age had a hand in my ignorance, but for a guy who was once labeled as the wittiest in the 500 graduation class of 1940, it was difficult to swallow my pride and admit defeat. But, swallow I did, realizing that I was no longer in contention for glib remarks and, just maybe, I had better it. I am advancing toward the point where, it is possible, age is approaching. However, I, emphatically state, I don't feel it! And, inasmuch as I have to run catch a plane, I'm just going to have to live with it.

3 comments:

MARCIE said...

Dad, you crack me up! At 87 you still think of age as approaching! Now that is an optimistic spirit!

Anonymous said...

You and Tom Perry give me courage to keep going. You're my insnpiration! I find your humor very strong, and just a bit dry, the way I like it.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jim,

I came across your blog completely by chance and have never had the pleasure of meeting you. Your entries are uplifting and well-written. I was particularly touched by your entry entitled "As Age Approaches". I simply wanted to say that it is an inspiration for a man 87 years young to maintain a blog and lead such an active life.

I can assure you that you would be the center of attention at most family gatherings.

I wish you many many years of good health and happiness.