THE ARIZONA PENGUIN

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

WHOLLY CREPE

Wholly Crepe!
It all took place many years ago during the winter of 1962 when Louise and I left with the Bleiers for a weekend at the Wolf River Lodge, North of our home in Appleton. It was a quick decision and we were almost snowbound that February. It was my birthday month and a small quiet celebration was the main reason we ventured forth. However it was to become an event that has lasted ever since and today what was once a rarity is now common place. This is in reference to a breakfast we were served at the above mentioned B&B. Amongst the eggs and rolls, mmnn!, were a delicasy we had never before encountered. Yes, I know we were infants in the culinary efforts of the French. but here we were served crepes loaded with a blend of cream cheese and sour cream and I'm not sure what else. After breakfast and as we were looking at the snow falling, I noticed Louise was missing? Not particularly concerned except when she returned a short time later she had a small smile when I asked where she had been? The smile was somewhat enigmatic and it was not until we returned home the next day that she showed us her new breakfast delight--crepes. She had gone to the kitchen and was shown how to make crepes. Now that doesn't seem, in retrospect, such a big deal except it was the beginning of a tradition that has carried down through the years. In short, we all have loved Louise' expertise at crepe making and to-day, at least one daughter in law, Victoria, and my son Chris are striving vigorously to duplicate her kitchen successes. I can't speak knowingly about my other daughters ability but I can say with complete accuracy, we all love 'em. Vive'La France

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh Jim, nothing beats a homemade breakfast, crepes or waffles...if it's with family or friends, it always does seem to taste better.

Polly said...

I will never be the cook that grandma was, but we all make her crepes. How great that we have that recipe. It is my kids favorite breakfast, sometimes dinner. Mary and Becky make them too! Cream cheese sounds good, we always just use jelly and powder sugar. love you

MARCIE said...

Funny how this recipe turned into a family tradition! We all love them! Renn makes them too!