THE ARIZONA PENGUIN

Monday, October 13, 2008

SOME OF MY BEST FRIENDS

After leaving the military, I became a menswear Maven. That's a Jewish expression for "expert". Oh, it didn't happen all at once, but as some time passed it became apparent I was destined to be in Men's clothing in one form or another. But that is not the story I want to talk about at this time. My story is my relationship with the Jewish people. As I became a buyer of Menswear, I quickly was closely tied to various Jews. That was the business they were in and I soon got to know Sid, Manny, Charlie and Hoybie. (That's N.Y. for Herbie) That is only a few I grew to like and with whom I did business. There really isn't much difference between a New York Jew and a mid-western Jew except in a form of speech or other mannerisms that we all have. Example: I invited a young man in my Wisconsin store to come and look at a certain vendor's neck wear. He demurred, saying, "I don't like him. He's a New York Jew". Now Danny is Jewish and so this surprised me but I went on to say I needed some help in making a selection. I really didn't, but it was a means of encouraging him and to allow him to see the geographical difference is minor. To shorten the story, several weeks later, when this particular vendor was due back in my store, I mentioned to Danny that he was coming back and I now was surprised to hear him say, "Yes I know. He is staying at my home while he is here". So from --I don't like him, to having him in your home was certainly a quick transition. And that was the big difference; you had to get to know them. Isn't this true of all people?
However I want to speak mostly of Herbie. He was not only a character in many ways but he was one of the best friends I could ever hope to have. When my store was announced it was gong out of business. Herbie was on the phone to me saying, "I don't want you to worry. I will hire you right now selling ties and I will pay you what you are being paid at your present job". Did that alleviate some distress on my part? Well, yes, but only because of his generosity and his concern. I was very confident I could get another job. Over the years I have received phone calls from Herbie about every 8 or 9 weeks. In all of those he has asked me to go to work for him and I have resisted, saying, "Herbie you are a friend of mine. If I go to work for you, we can't be friends". His attitude and the questions of all those and others as mentioned above, was typical. Were they concerned, they would no longer be able to do business with me. In part, yes but basically I was their friend and they were mine. After being terminated from my position at a major menswear business, Herbie was on the phone saying, "Come work for me". While I again resisted, in a year, without having been interviewed, I finally broke down when he said, "Jim, I need you. My CEO just left me and I need someone with your experience and stature". And so I went to work for Herbie but that's a story for another day. To summarize this tale , I still get a call from Herbie asking how I feel ? Do I need anything? While it is now more like every three months he calls, yet the bond of friendship was not lessened when I worked for him and it has continued through these many years. I pick up the phone and say hello and hear "Hi, its Hoybie"

2 comments:

Polly said...

Isn't it nice to have friends! I miss you grandpa!

Susan said...

Friends are just the greatest blessing! It sounds like you have a good one there. My best friend is a little Jewish American Princess who moved from NY to CA and has never gone home! Sometimes she's high maintenance, but I couldn't ask for a better person in my corner!