THE ARIZONA PENGUIN

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A MATTER OF INTEGRITY

A number of years ago, the department store for which I had worked for thirteen years had announced it was going out of business and it was a blow to all the employees as well as a large number of our customers. We had been in the city of Buffalo, N.Y. for over 100 years. As a buyer of the largest menswear department in the city, I had many offers for positions elsewhere. Among the jobs I considered was in a Baltimore store called Stewarts. I had gone down there to be interviewed by a Mr. Davidoff. I entered his office at the appointed time and we exchanged handshakes. He explained he had to go to a meeting and asked me to look over other men's departments in the downtown area and come back with my opinion. I did so and returning, boldly stated "You don't have any strong menswear here in the city" He was surprised but I told him the reason for my bluntness. "There are three very strong pieces of apparel in the men's market at this time and they are etc" The result of me voicing this opinion impressed him and he offered me a job. I was to be hired to buy only the sportswear half of their present department and the current buyer, a man I knew from market conventions, would continue to buy only the furnishings. That, in part, consisted of the underwear, pajamas, hosiery and such. I explained I was very impressed with the opportunity but would like to first see other offers that had been made but I would give him my answer by December 5. We were in the heart of our Christmas business and I also felt an obligation to still do the best possible for my present employer. That may sound too charitable considering we were to be out of a job in the near future. However, the store had been good to me and that was my attitude in spite of what the future had to offer. About three weeks passed and on the 5th of December, I received a call from Mr Davidoff asking if I was ready to join the Stewart Company. I hesitated for a few moments and then said,"Mr Davidoff, I have been thinking about your offer and am sorry, but, I don't think this job is for me." He was surprised, as my former reaction had been quite positive. I went on to say, "I know your present buyer and he is a nice man. I can't see myself working along side of him, going to market, going to lunch with him, possibly being in his home and knowing that if I prove to be as competent as you think I will be, you will dismiss him and give me the entire department". There was few seconds of silence and he agreed that is what would take place. He then went on to say "So what. If its not you it will be someone else". I then said,"I guess I'm an altruist. Let it be someone else. That's not my style. I can't work like that knowing I will be putting a knife in a friend of mine"!! As it turned out, I took a position with a company in Wisconsin and the three years that followed were the best years my family ever enjoyed. Was I blessed in some way for what I considered the honorable thing to do? I don't know. But it sure had a happy ending!

5 comments:

MARCIE said...

Good decision Dad. We all loved Wisconsin!

Liz said...

Way to go, Jim!! I like how you think!

Polly said...

Was it "Davidoff"? the designer?
Your such a nice guy! I want to be like you when I grow up!

Anonymous said...

That's a great story, and I love what you did. This is more than altruism. This is integrity, something that is missing in society today, sadly. I think we *are* blessed when we do the right thing.

I'm posting the bare block I put together today with Louise's picture in the middle. I'll be working on it over the coming week or two. I hope you like the way it turns out! This is going in my mom blocks quilt - though some of them are grandmothers or aunts, too.

Anonymous said...

Good decision! I had something similar happen. I needed more hours in the doctor's office I worked for to support my family, otherwise I was going to take a different job. My employer said yes, then proceeded to try to take the job away from someone else working there to give them to me. I couldn't do that to her so I left. It was a good decision.

Also, I live in Wisconsin. It is a great place to be!