THE ARIZONA PENGUIN

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Joy of Family

  • I think that this was the happiest I have been in many years. It all took place when I traveled to Utah for the wedding of my grandson, Dillon. He had returned from a mission for our church and had been at the BYU Idaho U.,when, surprise, surprise, he found his true love. I am not scoffing at this union, contrary, they were sealed in one of our temples which means they are bonded together forever and ever and  never to part. Its a serious business when you covenant to be together for the eternities but the excitement of the gathering of my family, both near and extended, was cause to mingle-nephews, nieces, great nephews and nieces, grandchildren and great grandchildren, sons and daughters and a mixtures of so many relatives I can't include them all, It took place at the wedding reception and as family after family arrived the excitement kept mounting, the cheering got louder and the smiles were the pinnacle of  happiness. I can't count the faces of all those I had often thought of and loved from a distance. I was in my glory to see the friendships that were struck or re-newed. Many had not seen their cousins, for example, in many years and the expressions of joy that surrounded this gathering was indeed cause for celebration. There were even a couple that I had to search my memory to come up with the names those that greeted me. I have returned home now and the warmth of that occasion still resides with me. How wonderful to bring together a group of this many and feel the love emanating from all in attendance. The philosophers have often spoken of the measure of a family. How deep is the ocean? How high is the sky? Those are the measurements that I feel personified  my happiness at this glorious meeting. This is the knowledge that families can be forever when this love is in place.

3 comments:

winspears said...

Love this post! And love you!
:)

MARCIE said...

Great post Dad, and so true!

Anonymous said...

As I was reading this, it was overlaid with a family reunion in the Celestial Kingdom. I imagine it would be much the same.