THE ARIZONA PENGUIN

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Fishing

  • Now this that I am going to write about will have to be written in two phases. First, to tell of the excitement I am feeling and the next will be to report on the success or lack thereof on my adventure. I have talked about fishing in the past but there is a new excitement swelling in my heart these days for I am about to embark on an old but now, new venture. One of my grandsons, living in Orlando, has invited me to join him in fishing the Atlantic ocean--no, not the whole ocean but some part lying East of Florida. And I am tripping!!! Now you would think I could contain myself having fished many places around and even beyond the confines of these United States but it has now been many years since I have ventured into the deep sea fishing variety and so by hook (pun intended) or crook, I'm going to have a go at it. I have known Jeff was a fisherman for some time but for some reason never inquired of his exploits. However, in a recent phone conversation, when he finished by saying, "Grampa, they are so big that I will have to help you pull them in". Now if that isn't enough to stir the blood of an old fisherman, I don't know what is. I have fished Northerns in Canada, Dolphins off Venezuela, Striped Bass at Cape Cod and Walleye all over this land but the thought, now, of Snappers or Groupers near Florida will be a new and hopefully successful expedition. I have to qualify my last sentence containing "hopefully" because there have been  almost multiple time where I have not been sucessful in the catching of those wiley denizens of the deep. I have seen them laying on the bottom, with me literally bumping their noses with my bait with nary a bite. I have become arm weary casting for trout in fast waters all in vain. I have even done jigging in waters teeming with fish only to have an up and down experience (There's a bad pun in there if you have ever fished)  but Jeff has laid down the gauntlet and I am accepting the challenge. To horse!!?? A fishing we will go!! 

2 comments:

MARCIE said...

You have me a little worried with your tripping and your jigging! And I don't get the horse reference at all. But I do wish you a very merry fishing trip! Try not to keep Jeff up too late, and somebody PLEASE take pictures! Buy a disposable camera even. Have a blast Dad!

Brenda said...

Oh Jim, how exciting!!!! A new adventure for the books, woo-HOO! Now be sure to leave some fish for the rest of the guys, LOL!
Have fun! Brenda=)