THE ARIZONA PENGUIN

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Judson Place

I do a lot of my thinking and remembering while I am in my bed. Sleep does always stay with me throughout the night and I am too warm to get up and do something constructive and so, I think. The other night I began to think of the things of my childhood--again and my thoughts turned to the first place I recall in Syracuse, N.Y. --- the family home on Judson Place. I was no more than 6 or 7 when I think of the home I really grew to love because my grandparents were there as was my Aunt and Uncle. My grandmother was a very sweet and warm lady, and I use that word intentionally, while my grandfather was rather a sternvisaged, taciturn man , who with all his gruff exterior still would pull me on his lap to read the funnies to me. Incidentally they don't have funnies like they used to, or maybe its me having outgrown the Katzenjamma Kids. At any rate I recall my grandmother going about the house dusting and singing softly to herself. She was hard of hearing. (Now, I know that's not politically correct but its my grandmother and I can say anything I wish about her). I can't leave my thoughts about the home without mentioning Uncle Chuck; my uncle of whom I have the dearest memories; fishing, picking berries in the Adirondacks and other fun times. I loved going there and being in that family home. It was not a family home such as we are inclined to think, but it had a certain magic to a 7 year old and it was the gathering place for my Mothers' 6 siblings and their mates as well as many cousins. However, I want to dwell on the friends I developed. There was a family living in the upstairs of our home and they had a son, Jack, with whom I palled. And Billy lived across the street on Thornton Avenue also became my little buddy. I looked forward every year or each vacation period to seeing them. There was a huge hill behind Billy's house and we used to climb it regularly just to walk around the large water tower on topand then to roll down its lengthy expanse. Because of the nature of that neighborhood, there were hills in front of every house on Thornton and king of the castle became one of our games which allowed us to carry multiple grass stains home. We also played hide and seek and other classic children activities. But it is the nostalgia of the years and the manner in which my memories are impacted that is the substance and the subject of today. It was my vacatiion place for several years. The sweetness of those early years clings to my thoughts into these many years later. I hope you have memories of warm sunshine, loving grandparents and good friends as do I. There is little of value that can replace those recollections of the past.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh Jim, you've made me cry. I had forgotten, or stored away the good memories, the fun ones...it's always so much easier to remember the bad ones. Like remembering the crabby waiter and forgetting the great food when you go to a restaurant. =(
And then I think of my son who has no such great childhood memories. He's fourteen so that part of his life is gone, he spent it in silence, in total and complete isolation. My heart aches for his loss but I will rejoice in the fact that I too had a hill that I went to with friends. Lots of great spooky stories and the laughter of carefree childhood innocence. Thanks for reminding me of a simpler time. I so needed that! Big hugs from NH. Brenda=)

MARCIE said...

I love hearing a few details about your grandparents. I remember you would take us to that big grassy hill in Syracuse and we would roll down it. That was so fun!

Becky Pitcher said...

Grandpa that's so sweet! It makes me think of all the fond memories I have of playing in and around your house.

Polly said...

If your grandparents were half as wonderful as mine then I know the joy that you had as a child. Sitting at the little round table in the back room learning how to play poker with my grandpa, making cookies with my grandma, going on Chris's paper route with him. Playing around the pond behind your house, finding all manner of things and bringing them home to show you. Spending so much time with cousins. I wish we all lived closer now so my kids could have more of those experiences. I laugh when I remember all the jokes Chris would play on us and on grandma. Hiding under the bed in the twin room and sneaking out to scare us when we were almost asleep, brushing his teeth like the bionic man and getting toothpaste everywhere. It was so fun to have an older uncle/brother to play with and look up to. Love you grandpa